Colorful and Oh-So-Cute: Make the Coolest Crayons Ever
If you have kids, chances are very good that you also have a burgeoning collection of broken and worn-down-to-the-stub crayons. Instead of tossing them, give those colorful bits new life with the easiest craft project ever: Just pile the broken crayons in oven-safe molds, melt, and voilà! The result is a magical set of tie-dye-style crayons that are easy for little hands to hold (and pretty hard to break).
What You Will Need:
- Assorted pieces of crayons (any colors), wrappers removed
- Oven-safe silicone candy or ice cube trays—simple shapes like hearts or flowers work best
1. Preheat oven to 250 degrees.
2. Arrange bits of crayons in the silicone molds.
3. Place trays in the oven and bake for 10-15 minutes, until the wax is just melted. Remove the trays from the oven and let your new crayons cool. Pop ‘em out and get to drawing that blue elephant or pink rocket ship!
You can also do this project with mini (or even regular) muffin tins. If the crayons get stuck, place the trays in the freezer for an hour or so and they should pop out. Feel free to sprinkle a little glitter in the mix. If you make fun shapes, these crazy crayons also make for a great gift or party favor.