Child Care Safety, Health, and Security
KinderCare cares for your child like you would.
Education and development are important, but we know that nothing matters more than the safety, security, and health of your child. That’s why protection and preparedness are critical considerations in everything we do.
We’re not the only ones who know our centers are safe—we’ve earned a seal of approval!
It’s one thing for us to say we’re doing our best to keep everyone well at KinderCare. It’s another thing to have the experts verify it! We’re proud to share that we’ve earned a WELL Health-Safety Rating™ seal from the International WELL Building Institute™ (IWBI). That means when you walk into our centers, you can feel confident that we’re putting your health first. Learn more about the steps we took to earn this achievement.
Setting a new health and safety standardOur teachers and staff undergo extensive training on health and safety practices, including pandemic-response protocols so you can rest assured your child is in good hands.
Since the beginning of the pandemic, the transmission rate of COVID-19 in our centers has stayed below the community average, which means our approach has set a new standard within the child care industry.
We work closely with expert medical partners including Pediatric Disaster Preparedness Doctors, and we follow CDC guidelines on the ongoing and evolving protocols.
Learn more about our enhanced procedures including vaccine updates.
Protecting your child's health and safety
From first aid training for emergency situations to sanitation and ensuring a clean and healthy environment for children, we have more than 50 years of experience ensuring that every child is happy and healthy. Although scraped knees are a part of growing up, you can have confidence that your child is cared for in a secure, nurturing environment every day.
- Our high-quality playground equipment is safe, sturdy and tested monthly by our facilities technicians to ensure it is secure and in good working order.
- We have safe fall zones with soft landing areas if your child takes a tumble.
- All outside play areas are wrapped in secure fencing.
- We assess every child’s health by talking with parents and monitoring for symptoms during the course of each child’s day with us. We increase assessment during flu season.
- We notify parents when a child does not feel well to help prevent an illness from spreading.
- We clean our centers each day with safe, non-toxic cleaning products.
- Cleaning supplies are locked safely out of reach of children.
- While other child care providers clean toys each evening, KinderCare sanitizes toys throughout the day to help prevent the spread of germs.
- We encourage children to wash their hands throughout the day by singing songs and teaching lessons about health and hygiene.
- Diapering is conducted in an area separate from children’s play areas.
- We have strict policies for administering medication to your child to ensure they are protected.
- Based on new research about healthy practices for infants and toddlers, we require a doctor’s note for any medication, prescription or over the counter, given to a child under 2 years to ensure safety.
- Our centers are secured so that only authorized staff and families may enter.
- Safe, secure perimeters ensure that children can enjoy outdoor play safely.
- We use safety gates, window guards (except fire escapes) and cap electrical outlets.
- Our centers include smoke detectors and fire extinguishers.
- Radiators and heaters are covered to prevent your child from touching something hot.
- We have dedicated, friendly caregivers who are trained in child development, early-childhood education or a related field.
- We conduct criminal background checks to ensure trustworthy staff and passionate teachers provide the best care and education for your child.
- Our staff and teachers are trained in first aid and CPR.
- We are serious about training for earthquakes, fires and lockdown situations.
- We have an emergency evacuation plan at each center.
- We don’t just have a plan, we regularly test and train so our people are ready. Talk to your Center Director to learn more about your center’s emergency plan
- Our National Support Center has a crisis team that supports each center during and after emergencies.
- Should we need to temporarily close a center due to an emergency, our crisis team will work with center management to ensure all families and staff are updated on when the center can re-open for a safe and healthy re-entry.
- All perishable food is refrigerated.
- Our menu is planned by a registered dietitian so your child eats nutritious foods.
- We welcome breastfeeding mothers, and we have careful policies for separating breast milk from formula.
- Only pre-approved people with photo identification may pick-up your child.