The Piggy Bank of Emotional Deposits and Withdrawals
Examples of emotional deposits
- Babies and toddlers:
- Acknowledge and respond to your child’s needs as soon as possible.
- Use a warm, calming tone when speaking with them.
- Follow their lead when they’re trying to share something with you.
- Spend time on the floor playing together.
- 2-year-olds and older:
- Engage in one-on-one interactions at their eye level.
- Acknowledge their communication (verbally or nonverbally).
- Follow their lead and interests during play and discovery.
- Provide specific feedback to their ideas, thoughts, and actions, like:
- “Excellent idea for ...”
- “I really like how you … “
- “That’s a cool way to ...”