From Chaos to Calm: Creating Space for Mindfulness
Learn why mindfulness matters for kids.
Create a calm, cozy space at home.
- Pillows and blankets
- Favorite plush toys
- Pictures of loved ones: family, friends, or pets
- Emotions charts
- Noise cancelling headphones or earmuffs
- Paper and coloring materials
- Sunglasses and/or a hat to wear for kids who like to block out bright lights or to just “disappear” for a moment
- Homemade manipulative fidgets made of yarn and pipe cleaners, resealable bags filled with hair gel and food coloring, sensory bottles (oil, water, food coloring, glitter, small toys)
- Homemade stop/go sign for kids to indicate when they’re ready (or not) to talk.
- Visit IKEA for more ideas on creating an at-home sanctuary for little kids!
Relax together to feel better!
- Reading books
- Telling stories
- Listening to calming music
- Doing yoga
- Breathing deeply
- Sharing gratitude