Back to School in 2020: 4 Tips for a Smooth Transition
- Talk with your child’s teacher or school about the safety precautions they’re taking.
- Establish a morning routine for the whole family now and practice it for a few weeks before the first day, to help ease the transition from summer to school.
- Take breaks from people, news, or topics that increase your anxiety. Try to make the week leading up to school as stress-free as possible.
- Explaining safety precautions your child can expect at school like wearing a mask, sticking with their group, cleaning toys and surfaces, and frequent hand washing.
- Emphasizing how your child’s actions can help keep them safe from Coronavirus.
- Empowering your child to help others by reminding them that following new routines helps keep their family, friends, and teachers safe too!
- Before school starts: Plan a special activity or some extra family time and encourage your child to participate in the planning.
- On the first day: Let your child know how proud you are of them! Acknowledge the hard work of growing up, learning how to be a good friend, and exploring the world.
- During the school year: Talk with your child each school day about the things that seem little but are important to your child, like what they wonder about, funny things friends said, or which classmates they like to spend time with.