Eat RED for American Heart Month
RED foods including red apples, red cherries, red berries, red peppers, red tomatoes, and red beans are very nutritious and heart healthy.
Here are some helpful hints to help your family Go RED!
RE-fuel your family's day with this heart healthy breakfast. Breakfast is the most important meal of the day for you and your children providing the necessary nutrition to refuel and restart a day of learning and achievement.
Cherry Almond Smoothie (www.3day.org)
- ¾ cup frozen sweet red cherries
- ¼ teaspoon almond extract
- 1 ½ teaspoon sugar
- ¾ cup no fat or low fat plain yogurt
- 3-4 ice cubes
Combine all ingredients in blender. Blend until smooth.
Partner your smoothie with whole grain toast with nut butter or a bowl of warm oatmeal.
RE-charge during the day with this heart healthy snack. Nutritious snacks are a significant part of a young child's daily nutrient intake.
- 1 TBSP Margarine (trans-fat free)
- 2 TBSP firmly packed Brown Sugar
- ½ teaspoon Ground Cinnamon*
- 4 cups Quaker Oat Squares Cereal (cinnamon or brown sugar)
- ¾ cup Dried Apple Slices (cut into ½-inch pieces)
- ½ cup Raisins
In a 4-quart stove top pan, heat margarine until melted. Remove from heat. Stir in brown sugar & cinnamon. Return to heat until brown sugar is dissolved. Remove from heat. Add cereal; stir until well blended. Add sliced apples & raisins; mix until pieces are evenly coated. Spread mixture on wax paper-lined baking sheet and cool completely; store mixture in tightly covered container up to 1 week.
RE-connect with this quick & easy RED family meal. Family Meals are not only nutritious, but are a great opportunity for your family to spend quality time together re-connecting and re-winding after a day apart.
Very Vegetable Soup
- Vegetable Medley Soup (Campbell's Select Harvest; www.campbellsoup.com)
- ¼ cup Your Favorite Pasta Sauce
- ¼ cup Red Beans (canned, drained & rinsed)
Add Soup to stove top pan; add pasta sauce and red beans. Stir well; Heat & Serve.
Serve with a toasted low-fat cheese sandwich on whole grain bread or English muffin and fruit salad (enjoy a medley of fresh, frozen and canned varieties)